
We did have a baby who NEVER spit up - EVER. I think I had seen her spit up a tiny bit maybe twice. And now all of a sudden, she is doing it maybe one in three bottles after she eats, even if she has burped a bunch. This morning I was holding her in bed trying to calm her back to sleep after John had fed her and she spit up at least 2 ounces all over me! It was sooooo nasty. I gave her to John and went to take a shower. By the time I got back into the bedroom, John had her sleeping in her Snuggle Nest on the bed beside him and he was out cold. I figured I'd take advantage of my freshly showered, dressed fairly nicely appearance and I went out to run errands. I always feel very productive after running errands because it not only gets me out of the house, it makes me feel like I actually accomplished something.
When I got home, I gave Madelyn a bath because she had her one month pediatrician appointment this afternoon. (even though she is six weeks old - so we're about two weeks behind) In the waiting area, there was a mother with two children. One was crawling but not talking and the other looked like she was about three years old. The smaller one was not very attractive and John said it was a boy, but I said I wasn't so sure. When the nurse came out and said "Sadie and Emily," the mother grabbed up the smaller one, and said to the bigger girl, "Come on Sadie!" Score 5 points for Chelley not being sure it was a boy... the little one's name was Emily - definitely not a boy. Oh the things we do to keep ourselves entertained while waiting at the pediatrician's office...
I was guessing that she was up to 10 pounds and John was guessing that she was over 10. Well, we were both wrong! Before I forget all of the numbers, here are the stats from her appointment today:
Weight: 9lbs 6oz (50th percentile)
Length: 21.5in (60th percentile)
Head Circumference: 37cm (30th percentile)
So to sum it up, Madelyn is right in the middle range for weight, slightly longer than average, and she has a small head. The pediatrician did not seem concerned about her having a small head though because he said all of her growth curve was normal and looking good - they'll just make sure she continues to grow on that same curve at her two month appointment. He said that her heart and lungs sounded good. Madelyn's reflexes were good. John and I asked about the tint of her eyes because the white part (sclera, I believe) was kind of a blue-gray tint. He said that was totally normal for newborns.
I decided that I would check and see if Dr. McGraff believed the same thing as Dr. Rice (who we saw for Madelyn's first two newborn appointments) about taking babies out and about at this age. Sure enough, he said pretty much exactly what Dr. Rice had said - avoid going out to places like the mall or big stores that have lots of foot traffic (which equals lots of germs) and since this is Christmas season, that takes out pretty much any store. But he did say that I could take Madelyn for a short walk in her stroller - - - on days that weren't rainy or too cold - - - sooo that leaves me with the only safe option being to stay in the apartment this week. Bleh.
As we were on our way out, guess who we ran into? Aunt April with cousins Zak and Ryder. Poor cousin Zak was bleeding on the top of his head because of an accident with a stereo.
[NOTE TO APRIL: it could have been worse - Ryder could have hit Zak on the head with a stupid plastic horse and caused the bleeding... but what kind of sibling would do THAT?? haha By the way, check out Piper's blog and you'll see mom displaying another example of you being the facorite]
Okay, so one last note. The pictures at the top of the post are there because of my excitement that Madelyn is starting to fit into some of her cute Newborn outfits. Today she went to her appointment in her adorable valore princess outfit.


No comments:
Post a Comment