John didn't have to go into work today until 4, so I was able to go into my school and meet with my long-term substitute. I wanted to catch up on what was going on and see how much damage control I would need to do when I returned on Monday. It turns out that during my six week absence, all of my students have turned into "A" or "B" students instead of the range of "E" through "A" students that they were when I left. Amazingly, over two-thirds of the kids in all of my classes have an "A" for second marking period. . . . . . excuse my lack of enthusiasm because what actually happened is my strict late work policy was not followed, which means students turned in work whenever they felt like completing it and were awarded full credit. Oh well.
My visit went fairly well today, but I am such a nervous mess whenever I leave Madelyn. I was only gone for two hours and John was at home with her, but I was nervous the entire time. I don't know how I'm going to handle going back full-time and leaving her with April. I am torn because I feel like so much of my personality is made for teaching. I love doing it and I'm really good at it. I feel at home in my classroom - I feel like that's where I belong. But now, I feel like I belong with my little girl also. I really wish I could build a little nursery in the back of my classroom and be able to take her with me during the day. Too bad public schools are so germ-infested and I'd never be able to teach the way to write a five paragraph essay while trying to soothe a screaming newborn...
ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment