Before I go into my explanation of this afternoon and my appointment, I have to say that the book "The Happiest Baby On The Block" is wonderful and I think swaddling is AMAZING! We swaddled Madelyn for the first week after we got home from the hospital, but she didn't seem to enjoy it, so we had stopped doing it. She went through a very fussy time recently, which is why I purchased the book mentioned above. The book suggests swaddling and says that even if a baby fights against it, in the end it will help. Last night, after a 2am bottle, Madelyn was fussy and restless. I could tell she was tired but just fighting it. After about an hour or so, I decided to give swaddling a try again. She escapes even a snug swaddle and I didn't want a loose blanket in with her as she slept if she did escape, so I used the SwaddleMe. At first she was mad that her arms were pinned down and she was really fussy about it, but once I cuddled her against me, she gave up fighting. She slept for SIX HOURS!!! When her light fussing woke me up, I couldn't even believe that it was so late already! I hardly ever set alarms anymore because I'm usually up every 3-4 hours anyway.
Today was my six week postpartum appointment, so Madelyn and I went out once again in this crazy cold weather. Since John works all day today and I wasn't sure how long the appointment would be, I asked my grandmother (father's mother) if she would go with me and sit in the waiting room with Madelyn during the appointment. She really enjoys seeing Madelyn, so she had no problem doing that for me. Madelyn ended up sleeping the entire time we were at the OB.
I got to see my favorite OB today, Dr. Nichols, because the OB that performed the c-section was in the middle of a procedure today. We discussed the IUD/IUC option among other options, since I know I'm done having children. I had an exam done and all that - the appointment was quick and easy. Dr. Nichols did make the comment, "I can't believe how flat your stomach is already! Do you know how many women in this office probably hate you right now?" lol I am still far from being in any decent, toned shape, but I do think that my stomach shrank fairly quickly. Dr. Nichols wasn't real pleased with the idea of me going back to work as early as Monday 12/22, but she signed the release form anyway. She just told me to listen to my body and take it easy when I need to. That shouldn't be a problem for me, considering I taught during almost my entire third trimester sitting down at the front of the classroom.
Once we left the OB office, Madelyn was hungry because it had been four hours since her last bottle. I asked my grandmother if we could go inside her house and feed Madelyn before I headed home. She didn't mind that at all because it would actually give her a chance to hold Madelyn. I think she was a little disappointed that Madelyn had slept through the appointment in her stroller. Madelyn ate and spent a little time with Grandma, then we headed home.
So far today has gone well... but John works until close, so I still have a good nine hours left to make it through. I'm hoping she naps well at least once today so I get in a good nap. However, I do feel a little spoiled since I got a six hour sleep this morning!!
ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment